Saturday, December 8, 2012

Bienvenidos

I am proud to be Latin-American, and as a girl I enjoy embracing my femininity (minus our monthly friend and the nuisances it brings with it, as well as child birth and menopause). However, I am aware the combination of these two kinds is not always easy. Being a Latina carries certain "expectations," not necessarily good ones. As with any other label, there are stereotypes that immediately "define" who you are. As a Latina we are pictured as voluptuous, sex-crazed individuals. We are expected to be single mothers by the end of high school. We are expected to talk loudly, quickly, with an accent, and with our hands. (For more stereotypes go to My Research)

In retrospect, I do fit some of these stereotypes. I was blessed with curves, I have an unmistakable laugh, I find myself screaming over others when I speak, my hands add flavor to the words that race out of my mouth, and every now and then I mistakenly mispronounce a word, causing me to have an accent. Oh, and I like to wear my hair in curls and dangle large gold hoops from my ears: the typical Latina image. However, I do not fit all the stereotypes. I have been told I come off as a flirt, but that may only be consequence of my friendliness and lack of care of personal space. That does not mean I am promiscuous. Also, I am a year from finishing my undergraduate degree and still child-less. Obviously, stereotypes are general and do not fit every single person in that group. I have Hispanic friends who do not fit the typical Latina body type, who are more conservative, who are soft-spoken. Equally, I have Hispanic friends who do have children at a young age, never went to college, and speak as loud as I do.

One way these stereotypes are a burden to Latinas is their predominance in the media. The media tends to exaggerate these stereotypes, further enforcing them with society. This blog will compile such media and will offer rebuttals. Both negative and positive traits will be highlighted. This blog will be an addition to those trying to break down Latina stereotypes.

_____

* Throughout my blog I will be constantly switching between the terms Hispanic and Latino. Please keep in mind they both mean the same thing to me. They will both be referring to a person of Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Mexican, Central American, or South American descent. I personally identify myself as a Latino, but I will sometimes use hispanic as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment